- Helps maintain normal digestive function and an optimal hindgut environment.
- Patented encapsulation technology allows for targeted delivery of sodium bicarbonate to the hindgut and prevents an effect on blood tCO2 levels.
- Stabilises and maintains normal hindgut pH to reduce the risk of hindgut acisosis and associated disorders.
- May help improve digestive efficiency.
KERx EQUISHURE™ promotes normal digestive function by aiding in the maintenance of an optimal hindgut environment and is designed for horses suspected of suffering from or that are at risk of developing hindgut acidosis. Many horses have hindgut disturbances and EquiShure’s unique encapsulation technology ensures targeted release directly in the hindgut.
The demands placed on horses, as both athletes and breeding animals, dictate that substantial quantities of energy-rich feeds be consumed. Disturbances in the normal hindgut environment are thought to result from overconsumption of either high-starch concentrates or pasture grasses rich in fructans (sugars).
Hindgut acidosis leads to changes in the bacterial population of the hindgut, digestive disturbances and reduced digestive efficiency. KERx EquiShure supplies a time-released balancer to neutralize the acid and help maintain a stable hindgut environment, which encourages proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- 1.25 KG (10-20 days supply)
- 7.2 KG (60-120 days supply)
- 18 KG (150-300 days supply)
Top-dress EquiShure on feed at the rate of 30-150g daily according to the horse’s size and diet. Use the table below to determine recommended daily amount based on horse’s grain intake, forage source, and weight. For best results, divide the amount equally among feedings.
|Weight of Horse||300 kg||500 kg||600 kg|
|Grain Intake||Forage Source||Amount per day|
|Low to moderate||Mostly hay||30 g||50 g||60 g|
|Low to moderate||Mostly pasture||60 g||100 g||120 g|
|Moderate to high||Mostly hay||60 g||100 g||120 g|
|Moderate to high||Mostly pasture||120 g||150 g||150 g|
EquiShure Use in Racehorses
EquiShure can be used in racehorses. Its use is covered by the ‘Clear Day rule’ in the Australian Rules of Racing for the use of alkalinizing agents.
Recommended for horses:
- Horses on moderate or high-grain diets
- Horses grazing on lush pasture
- Horses with digestive upsets resulting in loose manure
- Horses prone to recurrent mild colic
- Inappetence or picky eaters and poor doers or prone to weight loss
- Horses with unexplainable behaviour problems
- Horses under stress of training, travel or sales preparation
“Kirby Park All Of A Sudden is a laid-back thoroughbred who needs a high-grain diet to provide him with the energy he needs for top-level competition. As his work and feed increases and the competition season starts, I add EquiShure to his diet to maintain the hindgut in optimal condition and function, keeping him comfortable and able to utilise the feed given to him.”