Rice bran, as the name suggests, comes from rice. Specifically, rice bran is the brown outer layer of the rice grain, which is removed in the production of white rice. Compared to the white portion, the bran portion of the rice kernel is significantly higher in nutrients and is high in fat, thiamine, niacin, vitamin B-6, iron, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, and fibre. Learn more about stabilised rice bran as a feed for horses.
The most important quality of rice bran for horses however, is the level of fat it contains. Fat is a highly effective energy source for horses and a valuable addition to the diets of performance horses or horses requiring a high energy diet.
One of the most troublesome things about rice bran is that immediately after separation from the white rice kernel, the fat begins to oxidise due to the action of an enzyme called lipase. After 24 hours, much of the valuable fat has gone rancid, especially if the weather is warm and humid. This rancidity leads to a soapy aftertaste, which can be quite unpalatable to all but the greediest of horses. But here’s the clever bit. Scientists quickly realised that by subjecting the rice bran to heat and pressure by extrusion immediately following its separation from the grain kernel, the lipase could be destroyed. Without the destructive lipase, the fat content of rice bran can be stabilised at around 16-20%
With rice bran processing, timing is everything, and with EQUI-JEWEL stabilised rice bran, any rice bran not extruded within 12 hours of processing is not accepted for inclusion, ensuring consistent quality and palatability.
There are many products out there claiming to condition your horse in a similar way to EQUI-JEWEL–but don’t be fooled. EQUI-JEWEL is the only product available in Australia that can guarantee stabilisation within 12 hours of grain separation leading to a guaranteed fat content and superior palatability.
Read the ingredient list. If it doesn’t say stabilised rice bran, it’s not the real thing!
Features and Benefits
- High in calories, without the fizz associated with high-grain diets.
- Highly digestible and palatable.
- Low in starch—ideal for horses intolerant to grain, those prone to tying-up, and those with behavioural issues.
- The low feeding rate and high digestibility provides for an economical calorie supplement.
- The benefit of rice bran for conditioning and muscle-building.
- Stabilised and extruded to lock in the fat content, increase shelf life and prevent oxidation.
- Contains essential fatty acids for healthy skin and a naturally shiny coat.
- Contains added calcium to balance the high phosphorus level found naturally in rice bran and other commonly fed brans and pollards.
- Supplies the powerful antioxidants, natural vitamin E and organic selenium.
- Supported by extensive research with proven advantages over other fat sources.
Where to Buy EQUI-JEWEL
Select your location to the right to find EQUI-JEWEL or another KER-affiliated stabilised rice bran for horses near you.
Directions for Use
EQUI-JEWEL is suitable for all horses from 6 months of age requiring a highly digestible source of fat. Mix the required amount of EQUI-JEWEL with the regular daily ration. As with any changes in your horse’s diet ensure EQUI-JEWEL is added gradually over 5 to 10 days. Adjust the following feeding rates depending upon weight, condition and level of work.
|Type of Horse||Weight Estimation||Equi-Jewel feeding rate per day|
|Performance Horse||500kg||500g up to 2kg|
|Yearling, Broodmare, Senior or Resting||350-500kg||250g up to 1.5kg|
|Weanling||250kg||200g up to 500g|
|Digestible Energy (MJ/kg)||18-19MJ|
*Contains organic selenium and natural vitamin E.
EQUI-JEWEL is available from:
Hokkaido Ascot Corporation
432 -1 Toei Urakawa–Cho
Stabilised rice bran, calcium carbonate, Vitamin E, selenium
Available Pack Sizes
20 kg bag